Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Trac, random, No-Maintainer?
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-09 17:15:21

AMDG

On 10/09/2017 10:48 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Steven Watanabe wrote:
>> On 10/09/2017 05:22 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>> >
>> > Regardless of one's personal preference regarding Github issues, I
>> think > that we all ought to agree that Github pull requests are
>> infinitely > better than Trac patches (were much better even without
>> CI, now it's not > even a contest).
>> >

>> To be honest, I prefer patches, because it means I have to deal with
>> git less.
>
> A Github PR can be merged without touching git at all. :-)

  I consider the web interface to encourage sloppy habits.
I never even consider applying a patch without testing it
personally. I also rarely apply patches exactly as given.
I usually want to make some edits before committing them.

> Apart from that, it's a toss-up; you have to git checkout develop; git
> pull, then apply the patch (which is a single git pull in the PR case,
> download the patch and 'patch' in the patch case) then test and git
> commit + git push. The PR wins for me as there's no separate download step.

You left out one step:
- Spend 5 minutes hunting through the man pages to figure
  out the correct git command.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe