From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-02-28 19:34:12

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 20:31, Rainer Deyke via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Meanwhile zip files are still the single most popular archive format on
> the internet.

Yes, and there's not much wrong with that (compression ratio's if anything,
better use lib-xz), zlib is foss and cross-platform available.

> Go to the boost download page and you'll find a zip file
> as the "lowest common denominator" download for Windows.

And they all work great with zlib.

  Go to
> https://itch.io/ and you'll find thousands of indie games, the vast
> majority of them packaged as zip. Download a Java jar file and you'll
> be downloading a zip file with a different extension. Same with .docx.
>
> Granted, most of these zip files aren't encrypted. And if I really
> wanted to read from a zip file, I'd use a third-party library like
> libzip or libarchive to do the heavy lifting.

Once you have the stream api, you just chain, and do encryption and
compression (in that order, only) in one hit and the whole thing becomes
very efficient.

> It was just an example to
> demonstrate that there are use cases for specific encryption methods,
> even when those algorithms are known to be method.
>
> (Implementing TLS would be another example, although again one where
> higher-level libraries exist.

 Oh, oh, oh, would you really consider not using OpenSSL?

degski

--
@realdegski
https://brave.com/google-gdpr-workaround/