From: Alan de Freitas (alandefreitas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-11 05:25:57

> For those who got involved in Boost within the last couple years, how did
> you hear about boost? What attracted you to it?
>
> For those who have been around for a while, what keeps you here? Why do you
> stay engaged?

Great questions.

I have an academic background in optimization and computational
intelligence. During my studies, I quickly realized the immense potential
of C++ for my work. I fell in love with the language for its combination of
performance and the ability to abstract complex concepts. As I delved into
C++, I soon discovered Boost. The quality of these libraries was
outstanding, and I began incorporating various Boost libraries into my
academic projects. Here are some I’ve used over time, in no particular
order: Boost.Pool, Boost.StringAlgorithms, Boost.Spirit, Boost.DLL,
Boost.MultiIndex, Boost.Container, Boost.Tribool, Boost.Graph, Boost.Asio,
Boost.Beast, Boost.Coroutine, Boost.Integer, Boost.Multiprecision,
Boost.ProgramOptions, Boost.Serialization, Boost.Uuid, Boost.Describe,
Boost.Hana, Boost.Histogram, Boost.Interprocess, Boost.JSON, Boost.Nowide,
Boost.Geometry, Boost.Process, Boost.Range, and Boost.Math. I remember
https://theboostcpplibraries.com/, which was invaluable to me during this
period. I used to recommend it to everyone.

A few years later, I became a professor, teaching C++, among other
subjects. Initially, we couldn’t use C++11 in our classes, so Boost was
integral to our research projects. The synergy between Boost and the
evolving C++11 standard was apparent. As C++11 gained traction, some
recommended alternatives to Boost. But I remained loyal to Boost due to its
superior quality. However, after nearly a decade in academia, I grew
increasingly dissatisfied. Despite my achievements with C++ and Boost, the
pressure to publish frequently led to an overemphasis on Python prototypes
that always went nowhere but got papers published. To counter this, I began
contributing to open-source C++ libraries in my spare time, focusing
initially on scientific computing and optimization. Some of my libraries
gained traction, which fueled my enthusiasm.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, I had more time to contribute to the C++
ecosystem and was invited to the cpplang Slack. I was thrilled by the
dynamic discussions on all things C++. Through this community, I learned
about the C++ Alliance. I was surprised to find out at the time they were
also funding this vibrant experience. In 2021, I joined the C++ Alliance.
This was a breath of fresh air, allowing me to focus on meaningful work
outside the constraints of academia. Collaborating with talented
individuals within and outside the C++ Alliance was enriching. I could now
concentrate on what I loved: contributing to the C++ ecosystem through
Boost and standalone tools: a reality made possible by the C++ Alliance.

Since then, I’ve maintained my libraries and assisted with existing ones.
This involves the often-overlooked, thankless tasks vital to keeping
libraries compatible with new compilers and bugs-free. As some move away
from Boost for standalone projects, these libraries remain functional
thanks to a few dedicated volunteers. Finding such qualified volunteers is
rare and can't be taken for granted.

Boost is notable to me for several reasons, many of which are tied to the
community and my long-standing relationship with it:

- Contributing to such an impactful project is incredibly rewarding.
- The competence of the community members makes discussions engaging.
- C++ is ideal for my projects, and Boost significantly enhances my
productivity. I have no desire to switch languages.
- Working with some of the best C++ engineers toward a common goal is
fulfilling.
- The cpplang Slack and the mailing list are excellent places for questions
and discussions.
- Giving back to the community, which has given me so much, feels right.

I love coding, and there’s no better place for me than here. The C++
Alliance has made so much of this possible for me and the Boost community.