Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-31 10:40:08

Doug Gregor writes:
> GCC has this wonderful regression tester that sends e-mail to everyone
> involved when something in the compiler breaks. Even if we can't do
> exactly the same,

Not in the short term, at least.

> I think we should spam the Boost developer's list
> each day with the day's regressions (at, say, noon EST). It may be a
> little annoying, but it will be a constant reminder when something is
> broken. Maybe, perhaps, I hope that it will make these release cycles
> less painful.
>
> I'm willing to do the legwork to make this happen, but I'm not quiet
> sure where we start or what precisely MetaComm is running to get the
> results pages.

The script that drives it all is
"tools/regression/xsl_reports/boost_wide_report.py". In very general
terms, what it does is:

1. Collects individual XML results from the corresponding FTP
   location.

2. Merges them (through XSLT) with "status/explicit-failures-markup.xml"
   and "libs/expected_results.xml".

3. Feeds merged XMLs to another XSL stylesheet to produce "output
   pages" (compiler/linker/run output) for each set of results.

4. Puts the merged individual XMLs together (using Python) into one
   huge "extended_test_results.xml" file, preparing to produce
   Boost-wide result pages.

5. Feeds "extended_test_results.xml" to a set of XSL stylesheets to
   generate summary and individual libraries' report pages.

All the stylesheets are in "tools/regression/xsl_reports/xsl/v2/"
directory.

As for where to start, I think it should be viable to generate a
complementary "regressions.xml" file during step 3 and then
post-process it in Python to send actual notifications. Let us know if
you need more help with specifics.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering