Subject: [Boost-users] Already successfully running Boost on Linux, looking for advice from Windows Boost adopters
From: Ramon F Herrera (ramon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-14 16:40:16

Some weeks ago, Boost caught my attention, and I am now a more than
satisfied user. The assistance received in this forum is one of the
factors in my "two thumbs up" evaluation of Boost. Give yourselves a
round of applause. :^)

Since I can't help but getting into progressively harder stuff (i.e.,
getting into trouble), I am considering using Boost on the Windows side.
My background is Unix development but I have been teaching myself Visual
C++ lately. I mostly build and integrate stuff written by other programmers.

I am trying to decide whether I should delve deeper into Boost on the
Linux side (which is quickly becoming a walk in the park), or take the
plunge into Windows. Are there gotchas or caveats? Can I just download
Boost and select "Build solution"?

My current platform is Visual Studio, Version 8 (2005). I don't intend
to upgrade it until I have no choice. I have found that to be a safe
policy -better safe than sorry-, specially when the software comes from
Redmond.

-Ramon