Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Compilation warning level
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz)
Date: 2009-05-11 17:07:38

Barend Gehrels wrote:

>>> I noticed that many examples were removed from
>>> geometry_examples.sln? This was probably because of those
>>> warnings? I think they should all be there...
>>>

>> Yes, I've remove them but temporarily. The I removed all examples
>> that did/do not compile for me.
>
> I thought about this, it would be very good to lessen the
> dependancies on external libraries in the samples. So let's use
> WKT-files instead of SHP-files. I'll convert the samples I made. It's
> also useful for the comparison programs.

I second this idea. Very good.
I've started to think of doing quick rewrite of Shapelib to a
single-header file with a shapefile class providing iterator-based
interface, so it's just easy to read test files.
I eventually deferred this idea to limit distractions for now :-)

> For GD (used in some samples but less than shapelib) don't know an
> obvious and simple-to-use alternative.

libgd is good I think, it's just a few files we could keep in our repo.

BTW, if you are interested in using libgd under Windows (as a simple
replacement to GDI), a wile ago I added utility function
gdImageTrueColorAttachBuffer to libgd for that purpose, here is example:

<http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/gd/libgd/examples/windows.c?diff_format=u&revision=1.1&view=markup>

> GIL might be good but I heard that line/polygon drawing is not
> possible in GIL (strangely enough for a graphics library).

It is a little strange, indeed.

Best regards,

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net