Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] How can I Help?
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-26 11:48:44

Hi Henry,

Henry Roeland wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> First let me introduce myself: my name is Henry Roeland 37 years old and currently working as software engineer for a company that delivers maps to car companies like BMW and VW.
> I'm working in the testtools team that is responsible for a map viewer and maptest batch tool.
> Technics that we use are C/C++, Sqlite, spatialite and of corse boost.
>
> Personally I have multiple years of C++ experience and busy getting up to speed with geometry technics in 2D. NeXT to that just started with studying advanced datastructures and algoritms like b+tree and r*tree.
>
> Currently I see your rtree as a perfect candidate for in memory container/index/cache in our map interface. As I wrote in my previous email the feature that is not supported yet is paging. How can I help to accomplish this feature? Are there specs? Or am I the only one in favior of this feature?

Certainly not the only one. People are asking about it from time to
time, using Interprocess' mapped file as a replacement. You're the only
one who is willing to help with the implementation. I greately
appreciate it.

As I mentioned before I was thinking about a stateful
allocator/storage/manager handling file or files/pages, cacheing etc.
This allocator would return pointers which when dereferenced would force
the allocator to load and cache data. Then, there would be a mechanism
to tell the allocator that some pointers/data aren't used anymore. It
could be done explicitly by calling some function on allocator like:

persistent_allocator alloc(...);
rtree<..., persistent_allocator> rt(..., alloc);

rt.insert(...);
rt.insert(...);
rt.insert(...);
alloc.flush();

The next step could be adding of some hooks or traits for allocators
which would be called by the rtree internally on the end of some
operation, e.g. insert. So this wouldn't be a C++ allocator anymore
since it'd have additional methods.

To avoid storing a reference to allocator/storage in those smart
pointers the rtree could notify the allocator/storage when a pointer is
dereferenced and data is required. So the responsibility for the
notification of allocator/storage would be moved from a pointer to the
rtree.

Finally the rtree could notify the allocator/storage each time the data
owned by a pointer is no longer needed but this probably wouldn't change
anything. Furthermore modifying and releasing the nodes before an
operation is finished wouldn't be safe in case when an exception was
thrown. In fact, this allocator should keep a copy of nodes in memory
during a whole operation and then at the end of the operation save the
data into a persistent storage.

The next thing is how to serialize data from and to node. We should ask
ourselves should we allow the users to implement other persistent
storage variants on their own. If the answer was no, then we could just
internally in the persistent allocator use the internals of the rtree.
But if we wanted to allow it (which IMO should be done) the most
straightforward way would be to expose the interface used by the rtree
internally to access node's elements. Exposing it would mean that we
couldn't change it in the future, so I'd prefer to avoid it. Instead, we
could mimic or directly use Boost.Serialization interface for Nodes. In
this scenario a specific Node would know what data must be saved and
loaded and it'd be able to save or load to/from some generic Archive.
Depending on the needs this could be some temporary 1-node Archive
gathering data for later or a target Archive capable to serialize data
on the fly, it'd depend on an allocator/storage.

This way we could also support versioning on a node level, the same way
how it's done in Serialization. So changes would have to be done on a
nodes level not in the user-defined allocator. An example could be an
implementation of a rtree variant storing additional data in nodes
(hilbert r-tree) or additional types of nodes (PRtree). Also arbitrary
user-defined Values would be serialized the same way (using
Serialization or familiar Serialization-like interface).

And this way we'd also support Serialization in one go.

We'd probably need some file header with the parameters of an rtree both
in persistent storage and in serialization support. Similar as with
nodes, an rtree could know how to load/save the header from/to some
Archive. The rtree should e.g. check if it's possible to use persistent
storage and load data, e.g. if it wasn't created using incompatible
parameters, etc.

So this is how I see it. Of course it isn't a plan, rather an idea. Feel
free to point out any errors or present your ideas.

> I started studying your code and busy generating uml diagram of your code to get the big picture.

Ok, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Maybe I'll do some
introduction about the internals.

1. Nodes

The rtree handles nodes using visitor pattern. It's more or less how
Boost.Variant and static_visitor works.
Currently there are 2 types of nodes, internal nodes and leafs. Internal
nodes store a container of Box, pointer pairs, leafs store Values of
type passed as the 1st rtree template parameter.
Furthermore nodes can store static-size or dynamic-size containers. The
kind is identified by a tag.

For each kind there is a template allocators<> storing allocator objects
needed to construct internal nodes and leafs.
There are also specializations of utilities create_node<> and
destroy_node<> implementing creatin and destruction of nodes.

Everything related to nodes is here:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/tree/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/node

2. Algorithms

Nearly all operations are implemented using visitor pattern: insertion,
removal, query, copy, destruction
(https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/tree/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/visitors).

The simplest one is a visitor checking if a node is internal node or a
leaf:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/blob/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/visitors/is_leaf.hpp
The most complex operation is insertion.

3. Insertion

bgi::detail::rtree::visitors::insert<> allows to insert a Value or an
Element on a desired level of a tree (there are 2 specializations). See:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/blob/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/visitors/insert.hpp
line 403 and below.

The flow of an original R-tree balancing algorithm was slightly changed
to allow nice decomposition of functional parts.
At each level of traversal:
1. For internal node
   1.1. bgi::detail::rtree::choose_next_node<> algorithm is called
(default implementation in line 25 of visitors/insert.hpp)
   1.2. the tree is traversed using the choosen node
2. For leaf a new Value is added
3. If there is an overflow (too many elements)
   3.1 a bgi::detail::rtree::split<> algorithm is called (default in
line 109 of visitors/insert.hpp)
   3.2 split algo creates a new node and...
   3.3 bgi::detail::rtree::redistribute_elements<> is called, it
redistrbutes contained elements between nodes

Depending on parameters various algorithms are used, each rtree type may
specialize its own algorithms.
In fact all rtree variants define different redistribute_elements<>.
linear and quadratic rtrees uses the default insert<> and
choose_next_node<>.
R*tree specializes also choose_next_node<> and insert<>.

Each variant has its own directory:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/tree/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/linear
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/tree/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/quadratic
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/tree/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/rstar

4. Parameters and options

All of the above, nodes and algorithms are identified by tags (using
tag-dispatching technique).
Binding of rtree parameters with tags is done in
bgi::detail::rtree::options<> and can be seen here:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/blob/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/options.hpp

5. Pack create

Plus there is also 1 packing algorithm creating the rtree in a top-down
manner here:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/blob/develop/include/boost/geometry/index/detail/rtree/pack_create.hpp
It works more or less like a classic top-down kd-tree creation algorithm
using object median split.

> One remark is that I have to help in my own/spare time.

Sure, no pressure. I'm working on the rtree in my free time as well and
I appreciate any help :)

Regards,
Adam

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net