From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-24 04:28:02

Hi All,

I'm finally ready to start working towards the next release, which as
some of you might remember I volunteered to manage. Below is a
preliminary schedule what I would like to propose, subject to
adjustments as I receive your input:

June 24-27:
    Announce a preliminary release schedule, collect information about
    everyone's plans for the release, adjust/confirm the schedule,
    make regression reports to reflect the actual status of the main
    trunk, setup nighly runs of the inspection report
    (http://tinyurl.com/2vo5p), construct a "Release Progress" page
    publishing the milestones, the collective TODO list, and links to
    all the reports.

June 27-July 16:
    Use regression reports to identify and resolve the outstanding
    issues with the main trunk. Walk through and deal with all the
    patches and bug reports submitted to the list/SourceForge tracker
    since the last release. In accordance with the TODO list, track
    the progress of individual developers. By July 15, 24:00 US
    Central Time every line of code that is intended to be put into
    this release should be in the CVS, and the next round of
    regression reports should show no regressions against the
    then-current expected failures markup.

July 16:
    Branch for release. Switch regression tests to run on the branch.

July 17-July 18:
    No code checkins are allowed expect to fix the failures resulted
    from branching (hopefully none). Documentation checkins are still
    OK. Perform the rest of the pre-release tasks listed in
    http://tinyurl.com/2meuh. July 18, 24:00 US Central Time marks a
    complete freeze of the branch.

July 19-July 20:
    Prepare and test the release candidate archives. Fix any found
    issues and repeat.

July 21:
     Release according to the http://tinyurl.com/2meuh procedure.

As you can see from the first milestone's description, at this point
I'd like to collect everybody's plans for the release (for those
developers who do plan to do something, of cource), with approximate
dates, so that we have a better understanding of how everything is
going to fall together. Please post these plans to the list with
"[1.32 Plan]" prefix in the subject.

As usual, any other comments/suggestions are more than welcome.

Thank you!

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering