Subject: Re: [boost] Mentoring (Was: Maintenance suspended)
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-09 12:35:18

On 7/9/2010 11:53 AM, Brian Bartman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>>> I personally was looking for a way for me to actively continue working on
>>> boost after my GSoC project is completed.
>>
>> Is there a boost library that particularly interests you?
>
> My main interests are template based design patterns related to data
> structures and algorithms (I know that's large topic, its really ALL of
> boost). If I had to pick a library I think I would pick the Boost.MPL or
> Boost.Fusion. I like templates and meta-programming, so what would you
> suggest?

MPL then. Aleksey isn't very active anymore, and Dave is swamped. A
simple thing you can do is check what differences exist between trunk
and release for mpl and figure out how to bring release in sync. Be sure
to check that the test result on trunk look healthy. Make specific
proposals on this list and cc Dave and Aleksey. With their approval, you
can merge to release (lots of folks here can help with that), and then
watch the release test results to make sure you didn't break anything.

Once you've gotten your feet wet, you can troll through the MPL bug list
and start fixing bugs.

>> And if not a library, then docs or test or website or infrastructure.
>> Where do you think you'd like to help?
>
> I would like to start out bug fixing and anything that involves complicated
> programming.
>
> I can do website stuff if there is need for it, but from what I have read on
> list I can't tell if there has been a decision made to actually do something
> about the website or not.

Not sure yet. Dave and I will need help with website stuff eventually.
Our ryppl-ized version of Boost will have a different architecture, and
we will certainly need a new website to reflect that.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing