Subject: Re: [boost] Looking for git help for Boost releases
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-03 12:05:35

On 3 June 2014 16:39, Marshall Clow <mclow.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I’m trying to figure out tooling for making boost releases.
>
> One of the missing pieces that we had in SVN was “svn export”, which let you check out a particular branch/revision
> to a local folder, w/o any of the SVN infrastructure (such as .svn folders). It also let you set the line endings of the files,
> so I could make a release with Windows line endings on a non-windows computer.
>
> The command that I used was:
>
> svn export --non-interactive --native-eol XXX -r YYY, https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release ZZZ
>
> where:
> XXX was line ending that I wanted (either CRLF for windows or LF for unix)
> YYY was the revision that I was interested in (usually HEAD)
> ZZZ was the destination for the export
>
> How can I do something like this for git?
> I’ve looked at “git archive”, and that’s something like what I want, but it doesn’t handle sub-projects.
> There are a few scripts around that claim to do “git archive over sub-projects”, but I haven’t found one that works with our set up, and none of them let you modify the line endings for (some of) the files as part of the process.
>
> Any ideas? Suggestions? Pointers?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I do something like this for the documentation, so I could extract
that from the build script. Although it requires a local mirror of the
git repos, so it might need to be adapted a bit. But it doesn't do
anything about line endings. It might be easier to just create a
shallow clone, and then delete the .git files and directories.