From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-27 11:40:26

Douglas Paul Gregor said:
> BoostBook is nearing the point where building documentation is as easy
> as building libraries. The Boost.Build v2 modules for BoostBook (and
> associated tools) are quite functional and work well for me, but I want
> to verify the they will work well for someone else.
>
> I would like a volunteer to try out the BoostBook tools to see if they
> can easily build documentation, and report your successes, failures, and
> general level of frustration to the Boost documentation list or to me
> personally so I can improve the situation for future users and
> developers. You'll need a few tools, a very recent checkout of Boost
> CVS, and
> possibly a little patience, but everything is explained (I hope) in the
> "Getting Started" guide here:
> http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~gregod/boost/tools/boostbook/doc/html/
>
> Any takers? Please?

Documentation nits:

* "and including that Jamfile in the list of Jamfiles including for
testing" under Testsuites... should be "included for testing".

* Navigation links have broken images. Probably only an issue on your web
server, right?

* The documentation on modifying user-config.jam doesn't make it clear
that you don't need to do *any* configuration if you wish to just let the
build process pull the stylesheets off the Internet.

Problems building:

* On Mandrake 9.1 I had no issues.

* On Cygwin, I get the result:

xslt-xsltproc bin\gcc\debug\boost.docbook
'XML_CATALOG_FILES' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

  XML_CATALOG_FILES=catalog.xml xsltproc --xinclude -o
bin\gcc\debug\boost.docbook
C:\cygwin\home\wekempf\boost/tools/boostbook/xsl/docbook.xsl
src\boost.xml

....failed xslt-xsltproc bin\gcc\debug\boost.docbook...

I have the following installed under cygwin:

libxml2 2.4.23-1
libxslt 1.0.13-1

At this point, I have no clue how to diagnose the problem.

This is the result of my first attempts to just compile the existing
documentation to html. After I get the Cygwin build working, I'll move on
to FOP and PDF generation and report other things I find.

--
William E. Kempf